Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ

Search for at
Evolution-Xtreme Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
So what happened to us? Announcements! SgtLegend 0 Tue May 06, 2014 12:32 am
SgtLegend View latest post
BF3-v2 Theme for Evolution Xtreme Released New News! Wicked 17 Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:22 am
FinalTouch68 View latest post
[THIS SITE] Speed improvements New News! SgtLegend 18 Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:43 pm
Gustine View latest post
Recent site downtime New News! SgtLegend 2 Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:34 am
megaboost View latest post
[PROGRESS] Nuke Evolution Xtreme 2.0.9e Announcements! SgtLegend 2 Sun May 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Recent Topics   Next 15 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
HTML Purifier Update [SECURITY PATCH] Security killigan 31 Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:10 pm
Brendan View latest post
[SECURITY] Nuke Guard Security SgtLegend 2 Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:12 am
[ MOD ]Honeypot V2.1.2 AntiBot Module Security coRpSE 68 Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:55 pm
coRpSE View latest post
Possible new Admin area layout Comments and Suggestions Lonestar 6 Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:39 pm
[FIX] Correct Cookie Settings (Invalid Session Error) Quick fixes killigan 107 Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:33 pm
Quiet1001 View latest post
[FIX] User registration Quick fixes SgtLegend 76 Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:21 am
Necro View latest post
Donations Xtreme v1.2 (beta) Modules travo 109 Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:09 am
megaboost View latest post
DFG Hosting - My Review General Chat TimBitz 26 Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:19 pm
denellum View latest post
Downloads Module Modules killigan 11 Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:02 am
28thCDM View latest post
Problem Bugs bulldog1 5 Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:07 pm
bulldog1 View latest post
[SOLVED]Strict Standards: date() error after new install Install dknight903 21 Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:33 pm
Shadz View latest post
Captcha Not Showing Security Minty-Undies 8 Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:12 pm
coRpSE View latest post
Folder directory General Support Redcougarxr7 3 Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:03 pm
coRpSE View latest post
Offline Possible?? General Support -=DemoniC=- 3 Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:06 pm
coRpSE View latest post
Forum UserInfo Toggle General Chat coRpSE 19 Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:05 pm
coRpSE View latest post

Hello again...

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view   Thank Post    Evolution-Xtreme Forum Index -> General Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas

votes: 6
uk.png

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:15 pm Post subject: No icon Hello again... Reply with quote

I  have  been  wondering  if  there  is  a  way  to  use  a  set  location  for  themes,  avatars,  forum  uploaded  files  and  uploaded  files  via  the  "Uploads"  module.

I  am  wondering  this  as  it  would  be  handy  for  all  of  he  files  to  be  in  one  location  rather  than  many  as  I  have  a  number  of  different  sites  running  Evolution  Xtreme  and  wanted  to  save  some  hosting  space,  I  guess  you  could  say  that  this  is  an  idea  similar  to  the  one  where  I  asked  if  there  was  any  way  that  a  single  set  of  core  files  could  be  used  to  run  multiple  sites,  but,  this  one  only  applies  to  the  above.

I  have  been  wondering  if  anyone  has  found  a  way  to  have  one  set  of  core  files  for  the  Xtreme  CMS  anyway  as  it  has  been  some  time  since  I  asked  about  it  after  all...

This  would  also  apply  to  themes,  a  single  location  for  everything  except  the  config  files  that  will  point  each  site  to  use  a  different  database.

Example:

If  I  was  to  have  say  10  sites  all  running  Evolution  Xtreme,  I  would  require  10  separate  folders  that  would  each  have  just  a  "config.php",  "mainfile.php"  and  any  others  that  would  be  required  to  actually  run  the  sites.  Or  something  that  could  be  achieved  in  another  way  or  one  similar.   If  I  have  a  separate  theme  for  each  site,  or  the  same  one  for  example,  it  would  not  require  multiple  copies  of  each  theme  to  be  uploaded  but  instead  would  only  require  a  single  copy,  if  you  catch  my  drift.

I  believe  that  SgtLegend  mentioned  something  about  a  security  risk,  but  being  a  PHP  coding  "rookie",  I  fail  to  see  what  that  would  be  as  only  I  have  access  to  the  FTP  account.

This  would  save  an  awful  lot  of  hosting  space  and  enable  me  to  host  even  more  sites  on  my  hosting  account.   Since  all  of  my  sites  will  all  run  identical  mods,  I  don't  see  an  issue  with  this  on  my  side.

I  guess  what  I  am  trying  to  say  is  that  it  would  be  nice  to  have  a  set  of  core  files  on  the  hosting  account  in  a  folder  named  "core"  or  something  else.   And  every  file,  every  upload,  and  every  theme  and  whatever  else  which  I  cannot  think  of  would  be  placed.   It  makes  perfect  sense,  it  would  help  those  with  very  little  hosting  space,  although  I  have  quite  a  bit,  I  am  planning  to  get  my  own  dedicated  server  and  am  wanting  to  try  and  figure  out  how  this  can  be  achieved  as  I  would  be  running  a  lot  of  sites  on  it  and  would  rather  not  spend  several  days  updating  each,  one  by  one,  but  rather  update  them  all  just  once  and  then  run  any  SQL  updates  (if  any)  on  each  database.

With  any  luck,  some  of  you  might  think  this  is  a  good  idea,  and  not  throw  it  out  because  its  me  suggesting  it.

Thomas.
killigan
Xtreme Developer
Xtreme Developer
DFG Developer
DFG Developer

usa.png

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:55 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Hello again... Reply with quote

If  you  used  a  decent  host  you  wouldn't  need  to  worry  about  all  of  this.  You  are  not  going  to  safely  achieve  what  you  want  using  GoDaddy  or  any  other  shared  hosting  account.  You  might  be  able  to  do  what  you  want  by  using  cloud  hosting  and  a  CDN  for  content  delivery.  

With  that  said,  I  personally  don't  have  time  to  explain  or  research  this  for  you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: 154164544594519
SnakZ
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

votes: 4
usa.png

Web Control Panel: xampp 1.7.4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:00 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Hello again... Reply with quote

just  open  ur  coding  up  and  just  link  all  the  themes  to  one  website  server

what  ur  asking  to  do  would  take  ALOT  of  time  and  i  cant  see  it  saving  u  that  much  vs  the  time  it  would  take  to  do  this

just  dont  forget  if  one  site  is  down  it  can  hurt  all  the  other  sites  this  way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: 720050661 MySpace Profile: zzsnakzz
Sponsor
Web Hosting
travo
Xtreme Developer
Xtreme Developer

votes: 2
australia.png

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:24 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Hello again... Reply with quote

To  be  honest,  I  think  there  would  be  better  methods.  For  example  if  maintaining  the  files  is  your  only  worry  (and  you  said  you  will  have  a  VPS),  I  suggest  learning  how  to  use  git,  then  doing  all  changes  on  a  local  server,  and  pushing  to  the  live  servers  via  git  push.

Eg:  http://philsturgeon.co.uk/blog/2010/02/Deploying-websites-with-Git

Although  with  the  above  example,  I  would  probably  have  a  repo  on  the  server  and  push  to  that,  then  pull  all  sites  from  the  server,  it  would  be  much  quicker  and  use  less  bandwidth...  Something  more  like  this:  http://ryanflorence.com/simple-git-deployment/

If  someone  is  trying  to  host  many  sites  and  the  space  is  an  issue,  well  to  be  honest  that  person  should  reconsider  their  hosting.
Thomas

uk.png

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:57 am Post subject: No icon Re: Hello again... Reply with quote

I  am  only  suggesting  this  again  because  I  will  soon  have  a  dedicated  server.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   Thank Post Evolution-Xtreme Forum Index ->  General Support All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: