Statistics  ·  Board Rules  ·  Forum FAQ

Search for at
Evolution-Xtreme Advanced Search

+  
Latest Site News   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
So what happened to us? Announcements! SgtLegend 0 Tue May 06, 2014 12:32 am
SgtLegend View latest post
BF3-v2 Theme for Evolution Xtreme Released New News! Wicked 17 Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:22 am
FinalTouch68 View latest post
[THIS SITE] Speed improvements New News! SgtLegend 18 Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:43 pm
Gustine View latest post
Recent site downtime New News! SgtLegend 2 Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:34 am
megaboost View latest post
[PROGRESS] Nuke Evolution Xtreme 2.0.9e Announcements! SgtLegend 2 Sun May 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Recent Topics   Next 15 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
HTML Purifier Update [SECURITY PATCH] Security killigan 31 Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:10 pm
Brendan View latest post
[SECURITY] Nuke Guard Security SgtLegend 2 Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:12 am
[ MOD ]Honeypot V2.1.2 AntiBot Module Security coRpSE 68 Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:55 pm
coRpSE View latest post
Possible new Admin area layout Comments and Suggestions Lonestar 6 Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:39 pm
[FIX] Correct Cookie Settings (Invalid Session Error) Quick fixes killigan 107 Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:33 pm
Quiet1001 View latest post
[FIX] User registration Quick fixes SgtLegend 76 Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:21 am
Necro View latest post
Donations Xtreme v1.2 (beta) Modules travo 109 Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:09 am
megaboost View latest post
DFG Hosting - My Review General Chat TimBitz 26 Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:19 pm
denellum View latest post
Downloads Module Modules killigan 11 Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:02 am
28thCDM View latest post
Help Please Error in posting - SQL Error - Duplicate entry Support Nickeado 0 Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:02 pm
Nickeado View latest post
Nuke Evolution vs Nuke Xtreme (Difference) Questions Nickeado 0 Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:05 am
Nickeado View latest post
Strict Standards: Resource ID# Bugs SnakZ 4 Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:55 pm
skip View latest post
Problem Bugs bulldog1 5 Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:07 pm
bulldog1 View latest post
[SOLVED]Strict Standards: date() error after new install Install dknight903 21 Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:33 pm
Shadz View latest post
Captcha Not Showing Security Minty-Undies 8 Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:12 pm
coRpSE View latest post

[POLL][FEATURE] URL rewrites for 2.0.9e

Post new topic    Reply to topic    printer-friendly view   Thank Post    Evolution-Xtreme Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What URL rewrite style do you prefer
/module/forum
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
/core/forum
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
/forum
74%
 74%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 39

SgtLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
DFG Developer
DFG Developer

votes: 27
australia.png

Web Control Panel: WHM
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:14 am Post subject: No icon [POLL][FEATURE] URL rewrites for 2.0.9e Reply with quote

Hey  everyone,

Just  a  quick  poll  that  will  run  for  the  next  few  weeks,  if  you  could  please  vote  in  the  above  poll  as  i  am  trying  to  find  the  best  rewrite  URL  for  Xtreme  instead  of  the  current  and  ugly  rewrite  rules  that  Nuke  uses  for  SEO.

If  you  are  confused  by  what  they  do  see  the  below:

module/forum  instead  of  modules.php?name=Forums

Cheers,
 Chris

PS:  If  you  have  your  own  style  you  want  added  to  the  poll  simply  reply  to  this  thread.

Last edited by SgtLegend on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
killigan
Xtreme Developer
Xtreme Developer
DFG Developer
DFG Developer

votes: 6
usa.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:27 am Post subject: No icon Re: [POLL][FEATURE] URL rewrites for 2.0.9e Reply with quote

I  know  people  have  voted  for  the  /forum.  That  one  doesn't  make  sense  to  me  unless  it  is  only  used  on  the  forum  and  maybe  the  content  pages.  If  you  were  going  to  use  it  for  the  news  also  then  /news/my-new-story  would  be  better  (news  would  be  module  name).  For  a  module  like  the  BFBC2  module  then  it  would  /BFBC2/user  

Another  thing  I  truly  hate  about  the  mod  rewrite  currently  used  in  evo  is  the  "evo"  at  the  beginning  of  the  SEO  friendly  urls.  

With  that  said,  I  think  perhaps  allowing  all  three  options  would  be  best  as  people  will  want  different  things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: 154164544594519
Lonestar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Xtreme Developer
Xtreme Developer

votes: 2
uk.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:26 am Post subject: No icon Re: [POLL][FEATURE] URL rewrites for 2.0.9e Reply with quote

i  love  the  idea  of  Mod  Rewrite,  but  as  Killigan  said  above,  The  Evo  at  start  is  abit  of  a  pain,  maybe  set  your  own  prefix  for  the  Mod  Rewrite,  as  for  the  votes,  I  voted  for  /module/forum  lets  those  not  so  experienced  site  users  know  they  viewing  a  module.  

Mod  rewrite  is  alot  cleaner  then  the  standard  way  of  showing  links.

I  also  like  the  way  Clan  Themes  have  there  rewrite  rules  set  to,  makes  it  100%  better  imo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sponsor
Web Hosting
tsac

votes: 4
usa.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:44 am Post subject: No icon Re: [POLL][FEATURE] URL rewrites for 2.0.9e Reply with quote

Yeah,  I  totally  agree  but  only  after  you  explained  it  Killigan....lol  I  was  one  of  the  ones  that  just  picked  the  short  one  without  even  thinking  about  it.  Embarassed   

I  think:  ModuleName/page-title  would  be  great.

For  those  that  don't  know,  here  are  2  links  that  lead  to  the  same  page:
 /modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1234
 /Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_p_-_1234.html

It  definitely  needs  a  cleaner  rewrite  but  I  really  think  the  default  robots.txt  must  be  revised  also,  or  somehow  get  people  to  understand  it  and  what  it  does.  I  see  a  ton  of  irrelevant  xtreme  pages  getting  indexed.

Here  is  a  example  of  stuff  that  gets  indexed:

/modules.php?name=Your_Account
 /modules.php?name=Forums&file=search   
 /modules.php?name=Forums&file=login
 /modules.php?name=Forums&file=recent
 /modules.php?name=NukeSentinel
 /modules.php?name=Submit_News
 /modules.php?name=Statistics
 /modules.php?name=Calendar
 /modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&printertopic

Most  of  those  links  lead  to  more  links  that  also  get  indexed  and  I  have  seen  bots  get  lost  in  them...especially  the  calendar.  Now  I  know  if  you  have  a  very  popular  site  the  bots  will  visit  often  and  learn  what  should  be  indexed  but  there  are  many  very  low  traffic  xtreme  sites  out  there  that  has  useless  urls  indexed  and  it  dilutes  the  little  content  they  have  on  their  site.     

I  know  I'm  no  web  guru  but  I  just  think  that  if  the  urls  are  going  to  get  prettier  for  better  bot  crawling  then  I  believe  the  default  robots.txt  should  also  be  tweaked.

I  apologize  for  getting  off  topic,  I  just  think  pretty  urls  and  robots.txt  are  mainly  for  bots  and  they  should  both  be  updated.

did  I  type  this  Shocked
coopvet2000
Support Team
Support Team

usa.png

Web Control Panel: cPanel Version 11.26.20, WHM 11.26.20
Test: Make it so!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:43 am Post subject: No icon Re: [POLL][FEATURE] URL rewrites for 2.0.9e Reply with quote

This  makes  really  no  sense  since  most  of  both  GPL  and  Paid  CMS,  Blog,  Bulletin  Board,  etc...,  SEO  standards  have  changed  extremely  for  this  discussion!  /forum.  Based  on  the  coding  this  /forum  is  a  lot  better  than  what  we  have  had  before  as  stated  below:  by  tsac

For  those  that  don't  know,  here  are  2  links  that  lead  to  the  same  page:
 /modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1234
 /Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_p_-_1234.html

Also  the  idea  of  evo  in  the  mod  rewrite  needs  to  be  completely  taken  out!  as  stated  by  Killigan,  I  understand  the  reasoning  for  this  from  some  time  back  but  with  the  way  or  mythology  of  how  the  search  robots  and  other  search  methods  has  also  taken  giant  steps  forward!   If  rewriting  how  the  URL  rewrites  make  it  as  SEO  friendly  as  possible.

But,  any  of  them  would  work  better  than  what  we  have  now,  because  of  our  broad  customer  base!

Cheers,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: 1367605442 MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/GWSVeteran
Ruphus

usa.png

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:19 am Post subject: No icon Re: [POLL][FEATURE] URL rewrites for 2.0.9e Reply with quote

I  have  only  1  question,  after  reading  all  your  posts,  I  have  decided  yall  know  whats  best  better  than  I,  I'm  fairly  new  here.  My  Only  question  about  rewriting  the  url  is,  what  about  all  those  links  we  all  have  posted  in  our  forums  and  across  the  net  that  are  like  this:  /modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1234  

After  the  new  update  is  released,  and  everyone  updates,  it  seems  to  me,  it  will  create  alot  of  dead  links  to  possibly  all  of  our  sites,  and  google  searchs,  ect..

Maybe  im  just  confused,  but  had  to  throw  my  2  cents  in.  I  would  have  thrown  more  in  but  im  php  poor.  
   Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: http://www.facevook.com/MoviezOnly
Sponsor
webstorm.jpg
SgtLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin
Lead Developer
Lead Developer
DFG Developer
DFG Developer

votes: 27
australia.png

Web Control Panel: WHM
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:26 am Post subject: No icon Re: [POLL][FEATURE] URL rewrites for 2.0.9e Reply with quote

Quote:                
I  have  only  1  question,  after  reading  all  your  posts,  I  have  decided  yall  know  whats  best  better  than  I,  I'm  fairly  new  here.  My  Only  question  about  rewriting  the  url  is,  what  about  all  those  links  we  all  have  posted  in  our  forums  and  across  the  net  that  are  like  this:  /modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1234  

After  the  new  update  is  released,  and  everyone  updates,  it  seems  to  me,  it  will  create  alot  of  dead  links  to  possibly  all  of  our  sites,  and  google  searchs,  ect..

Maybe  im  just  confused,  but  had  to  throw  my  2  cents  in.  I  would  have  thrown  more  in  but  im  php  poor.  
   Cool                

No  the  links  will  not  go  dead,  the  current  rewrite  rules  will  stay  active  within  the  .htaccess  file  to  ensure  anyone  visiting  them  can  still  see  the  content  they  normally  would,  there  won't  be  any  issues  but  i  will  be  adding  an  option  to  the  admin  panel  that  allows  you  to  switch  between  the  Google  tap  and  the  new  rewrite  rules.
Ruphus

usa.png

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:30 am Post subject: No icon Re: [POLL][FEATURE] URL rewrites for 2.0.9e Reply with quote

good  deal!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: http://www.facevook.com/MoviezOnly
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   Thank Post Evolution-Xtreme Forum Index ->  Comments and Suggestions All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: